The Rice Faculty Senate passed an Open Access Policy on April 19, 2012, ensuring that research articles authored by Rice faculty are made available to the public at no charge. Read the full text of the policy here. A policy FAQ can be found here.
Compliance is easy!
- Find the correct version of the article. In most cases, you can deposit the author’s final version of the article manuscript. This is the version after peer review but before the publisher formats it in the finalized layout. Learn more about article versioning and copyright here.
- Send a copy of the article(s) to Fondren Library at firstname.lastname@example.org. Library staff will check that the file is the correct article version and will deposit it in the Rice Digital Scholarship Archive. You’ll receive an email with a link to the record once the article is deposited. By notifying the library that you want an article deposited, you are indicating that you have read and agreed to Fondren’s Non-Exclusive Deposit License.
- If a publisher requires that you obtain a waiver, one can be found here.
Are you a staff member helping faculty comply with Rice’s OA policy? Here are some tips to help make the process easier:
- With the author’s permission, you can submit publications to the Library for deposit in the Rice Digital Scholarship Archive. Simply email files to email@example.com or deposit them via FARIS (the new faculty information system—instructions for submission here). You can also send a copy of the faculty member’s CV to the library for review–staff will deposit as many publications as possible.
- The Library may ask you to help locate a copy of the author’s final version of the manuscript (see above): be sure to get a copy whenever your professors submit a new article for publication. The Library has developed a guide to help researchers outline a plan for managing their publications for grant compliance, including keeping copies of the correct manuscript version: http://publicaccesscompliance.rice.edu/developing-a-publication-management-plan/